The security guards on base make me laugh. Unlike most military bases where the guards are enlisted members of the branch, this base has contracted guards. Therefore, they have a little more flexibility in how they communicate with incoming vehicles.
Last week I was bringing my parents on base to eat with Brian while he was on duty. We rolled up to the gate and showed our proper ID. The security guard suddenly questioned where we were going. Though a bit confused by his inquiry, I confidently stated that I was going to the Legare. With that he says to me, "Oh nevermind then." Curious, I asked, "Why do you ask?" He replied, "I was just going to say if you are going to the gym, it is already closed,"
Umm, okay, let me give you readers a visual image of the scene here. All three of us were wearing nice shirts and jeans. To top it off my mom, sitting in the front seat, had a neck brace on restraining her every movement. Why yes, why wouldn't we be going to the gym?
Then, tonight as I was bringing homemade cookies, macaroni salad, and Trader Joe's BBQ to Brian, I was greeted by an older gentleman at the gate. "Why hello there missy! How are you tonight?" Then he leaned in closer to my car with a sniff. "Why, what is smelling so good up in there?" I smiled at his kind words and told him I am a nice wife and was bringing dinner to my husband. He agreed that I was nice and sent me on my merry way with a grin on my face.
These guards are contracted through the same company as the academy guards. I am pretty for sure that one of their requirements on the job is to add humor or at least over the top kindness. Once I came up to the gate at the academy and stated, "I am here to pick up a cadet." In response I got, "Well remember to lift with your knees."
If you are really into this random blog of mine, you should read this hilarious article in an Ask the Captain section of navy magazine. Seriously, it is super funny. Its about this officer's wife who was irate about not getting saluted upon entering the base where her husband worked. What a prude and the captains response is priceless. Click here to read the article.
I much rather have an endearing conversation with a guard then receive a mundane everyday salute and to be called ma'am. I think next time I get bored, I am just going to hop in my car and drive on to base just to be entertained.
No comments:
Post a Comment