
I don't know where I get some of my thoughts, they are pretty silly, and they just pop up out of nowhere.
I was thinking about the snow that most of Virginia is seeing, all except for Hampton Roads of course, because it is the armpit of the East Coast.
Now that 15+ inches has fallen, I have been obsessively stalking people's facebook status' and pictures of such white fluffy phenomena. I am noticing a trend: lack of resources. People are speaking of cars running off roads, traffic, canceled holiday flights, yesterdays packed Walmarts, and being trapped indoors. This is Virginia, and the fine state simply does not have the resources to clear the roads for what they are calling a State of Emergency.
I survived a New Hampshire winter, and lived to see green leaves on trees once again. It snowed and it snowed and then it snowed some more and more. The difference is that lovely state had the resources, prepared and ready for some powder. I felt comfortable driving 15 miles to work with 15 inches of snow in the forecast. I remember going Christmas shopping with 10 inches of snow on the ground, and it was no big deal. The state was capable of keeping up with the snow that fell on the roads. Sometimes a bit tricky getting around, but definitely not impossible.
Now for my silly metaphor. The difference between these two regions is their resources and preparation. My little brain compares this to life. We all have storms in our life and if we don't have the right resources we are going to get trapped in those storms. If we prepare ourselves, we can plow on through them. We have to prepare ourselves in trusting God, building strong relationships and bonds with those around us, and humbling our hearts. Otherwise, the storms power over us can be exaggerated like Virginia's so called blizzard.
It is easier to get through a Nor'easter with a multitude of snow plows, salt, all terrain tires, and a little road experience. Making the everyday trek through a life storm is a lot easier when you have friends, family, and God to lean on for support.
Get it? Got it? Good!
2 comments:
I've been a little busy and not cyber stalking everyone's blogs recently. I just caught up. thanks for this, it was exactly what I needed.
- Terry
i love that pic:) The facebook statuses are making me laugh too. Silly Southerners, snow is fun and can be driven in!
Post a Comment