Friday, July 23, 2010

Life is a Great Adventure













Brian and I had such a fun and adventurous vacation.

First stop: Cashiers, North Carolina, where we met up with Brian's family for a week. While there we played many mean games of croquet and charades. We visited 3 waterfalls, hiked Whiteside to the most beautiful view, biked to the local coffee shop, fished the local rivers, kayaked around Cashiers Lake and Lake Glenville, played around at Sliding Rock (Sampson went plummeting down at his first site of the swimming hole below, and even braved the sliding rocks two more times), went white water rafting on the Nantahala River where we leaped off of Jumping Rock into refreshing 48 degree water, toured the Biltmore Estate and wine tasted at their winery, cooked up a VanDykens Tacos dinner for the family, ate lunch at many delicious restaurants, enjoyed time with family, and much much more. I loved how active our vacation was, and especially loved being in the cool and gorgeous mountains. I don't think we ever slept in later then 8:00 because we were so excited to get outside and play around.

Next, Brian and I headed to Franklin County for a little visit and to celebrate my birthday with my family. We took a pitstop on the way home to Chateau Morrisette Winery, where we enjoyed their Black Dog and cheese. A little ride on the Blue Ridge Parkway and some wine makes for a lovely birthday...and of course the day was topped with a Dairy Queen birthday cake.

The next day Brian and I had a silly idea that kayaking the Pig River Ramble course would be super fun and relaxing. Well over 6 hours later and with grumbling stomachs and soaked valuables we made it to the end. The river was rather low and there was a lot of downed trees. We did have a very...well...adventurous time.

Now we are at the end of our vacation with a little staycationing at home. I already miss the mountains and this 100 degree humid weather isn't helping. Maybe one day we can move back to somewhere mountainous. I am so grateful for such a fun vacation with my husband and of course our trusty pal, Sampson.

No comments: