Oh, I know I can be a bit opinionated sometimes. I don't always practice what I preach. So I will still stand on my soapbox today, but fully admitting that I am not the model citizen to my own theory. None the less, continuing on...
I am getting weary of hearing the popular phrase, "Just do what makes you happy." I think this is quickly becoming one of our biggest downfalls of our society. Since when do we know what makes us happy? We are so selfish in nature that normally trying to do what makes us happy turns into a big bust. Determining what makes us happy now does not always equate to a long term wise decision. For once, lets try to do whats right. Lets stick to the commitments we have made, lets look out for those around us, lets show others love, and lets listen to what is moral.
Why do you think this country has so many divorces? Everyone is looking for instant gratification. The minute the warm and fuzzies disappear we are so antsy to look for the next one that will satisfy our needs.
Why do you think our nation is so obese? Sweets, treats, and fat taste good on the tongue and boy do they satisfy the craving now.
Why has having fun become so grossly dependent on alcohol? Well, being intoxicated is an easy way to loosen up, have fun, and break out of your shell....despite tomorrow's headache, embarrassment, and lack of any meaningful relationship.
Why are there so many pregnant teens and STDs? Lets be honest, its no secret that sex is fun
And why are our teens acting so out of control? Because they learn from the best of the best, and both society and parents says "Follow your heart and do what makes you feel happy."
I could rant and rave for hours on this, but obviously doing what makes you feel happy isn't the key to success, long term satisfaction, and true joy. Some of the most joyful people I have seen have taken the long and hard road. So how about lets try something new, stop worrying about whats going to make you happy, and do whats right....I bet the real happiness will follow.
No comments:
Post a Comment