Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Cooper: 9 months


Nine months to grow in my belly, nine months here with us. It is practically worth throwing a party and celebrating. 9 months. Horray! Can I tell you, a few days ago I was thinking about how I could even write this months update because I wouldn't have much positive to say. It was a tough month. But its always amazes me how often the phrase "this too shall pass"  really does play out in life, especially those funky and tear filled stages of kiddos.


I started the month with a terrible stomach virus or food poisoning, that or some form of mysterious horribleness (is that even a word?). Even after the 24 hours of the real horrendous stuff passed, which included a trip to the ER for fluids, I still couldn't keep much down for almost a week. My milk supply crashed and I had a very unhappy baby. In the midst of thinking I may be feeling better I drove the kiddos and I up to Maryland to stay with Brian. Cooper was hungry and not a fan of his new living arrangement, a pack n play in the closet. The first night he was up screaming until 2 am. When it was 10 o'clock at night and he was gobbling down mashed bananas I realized it was time to supplement with formula. I wondered if he would even take a bottle. The boy scarfed it down in what seemed like seconds. I was thankful and strangely offended (because human emotions especially those of females are often unexplainable). Unfortunately his sleep was still...well lets just say it as it is...crap.


Lots of drool and a constant hot forehead, administering of Motrin and teething tablets. That seemed like the theme of this month. The kid has had 8 teeth since 6 months but nothing new since then. I guess he is working on the big ones, but they seem to be taking their time. Up until this month Cooper was pretty content sitting and watching the world. Suddenly he found the desire to be on the move. One problem, he  just couldn't figure it out. Our days went like this: sit Cooper up, Cooper throws his body forward, Cooper falls on his belly, Cooper suddenly no longer knows how to roll over on to his back, Cooper whines and cries, mom sits Cooper back up, repeat whole process of falling and crying over again....all day long.


"This too shall pass." I am thankful for such a truth. Don't get me wrong, nothing extreme or terrible happened this month. It was just one of those months where a lot of little things felt like they were piling up and everything seemed a bit harder. But we are starting to settle into a new routine here living in an one bedroom apartment together. It is easier getting around and we are enjoying our days here, especially the pool. Cooper is much more content and learning to be mobile. He still isn't crawling but is so close and is able to get around some through shuffling, scooting, rolling, inch worming. He is also sleeping so much better (though 12 straight hours would rock my world. If anyone has any sleep training tips that don't involve a screaming baby waking neighbors please tell me your trade secrets?). I am also thankful that my milk supply is back to normal though I know he would be content either way. It is hard to remember during those tougher days that good days will happen again. It is also humbling to look back on those days that seemed plum dumb awful and think, that really wasn't so bad.




Cooper continues to be a delightful fella. I just can't get over that laugh, those eyes, his sweet nature. The kid loves water, he kicks his feet and throws his arms in excitement just at the sight of the bath water running. He is so comfortable and giddy playing in the pool. On tougher days he is most content out and about, whether riding in the stroller to the playground, shopping around the mall, going out to eat, anywhere there is activity and people watching. He also likes to be heard; he loves yelling, growling and hearing his echo as we walk down our quiet apartment building hallway.




I adore the way he looks at his sister with such admiration. No one can make Cooper laugh like she does. Sometimes we will try to copy whatever she is doing to make him laugh. He will look at us with a mundane face. "Mom and Dad, you just can't be as cool as my Hannah."  I am really grateful and proud of her especially. Three has not been easy, that is for sure, but  she has easily transitioned into the big sister role. She is always willing to help with Cooper and she shows him so much love and compassion. She may be a threenager but boy is she the best big sister. Man do I ever hope and pray that these two will be forever friends.


Like always, time is flying by too fast. Don't get me wrong, there are days as a mom that the day feels oh so painfully slow but man I can't seem to stop these kids from growing up so quickly. At the same time  it is exciting to watch them grow up. I look forward to seeing how they are going to mature, what new things they are going to learn, how they choose to live their life. I pray that they will love Jesus and love others too. It feels like a mighty responsible to guide them towards that. Man I can feel like the biggest failure when it comes to that but ultimately I know that He is in control and is mightier than me and can work in all my weaknesses.




Cooper, you are one cool kid and we LOVE you. 





















No comments: