I wouldn't describe myself as a crunchy green tree hugging individual. We don't eat strictly organic products, we get lazy when it comes to recycling, and I am terrible at conserving water.However, I am slowly creeping over to the green side. I am trying to become more aware of how we consume, what we put in our bodies, and how we can live healthier and more efficiently. For instance, today I made my first batch of homemade glass cleaner. Its too easy and much more affordable not to. I feel safer knowing what ingredients are used to clean surfaces that I prepare food and eat off of. For the longest time I was led to believe all good products come from the store, and the bigger the price tag the better it works.
I don't want to just be a part of this green fad merely for its popularity and hipster allure. I genuinely want to have a better awareness. One thing in particular I am passionate about is alternative birth control, fertility awareness. Our society as a whole has become much too trusting of pharmaceutical corporations. We pop their money making pills like candy, without even understanding the risk associated with them. I have seen situations where parents put their young teensters on hormone based birth control to prevent pregnancy, not even understanding what it can do to their emotions and general health. Personally for me, getting off the pill has been wonderfully life changing. The negative effects and raging emotions were literally harming our marriage. I feel like I have a new life free from those hormones, and I love that I am more aware of how my body works. I understand that it is one's decision to go on birth control and I would like to emphasize that I not judgmental of those that choose that option. It is all about weighing the benefits versus the risks. The most important part is doing your own research and having awareness.
I know there are plenty of foods, products, and medications that I need to do my research on. I think especially now as the contemplation of future mini little Brian and Sarahs comes into thought, I am finding it even more important in my life. I don't want to be obsessive and I especially don't want to be one of those obnoxious individuals that try to shove their opinions down others throats, but I do want to live as healthy as possible and open up helpful ideas to others. We are only given one body, so it is really important to take care of it. I want to live by the following verse:
"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body," (I Cor. 6:19-20)
No comments:
Post a Comment