Wednesday, July 13, 2011

One Month Wait


One of the most simple but valuable lessons my mom ever taught me was, "If you really want something, wait a month." The majority of the time that craving and desire will pass in less than a months time.

This little principle has saved me from stupid tattoos, piercings, unnecessarily purchases, and general over consumerism on my part.

We live in a "gotta have it now" society. We fill our houses with WAY too much junk, but in the end are still left feeling empty and craving more more more. When we first moved in this new to us house I had a mile long list of things I just had to purchase to make it home (I tend to get the case of "I wants" all at once). Well you know what, I have waited just about a month and I really couldn't care less about getting a majority of those things (let me say it again-things!).

Then there is the rare situation that the month (or two or three) has passed and I still really want whatever it is, for example our kayaks and DSLR camera. Let me tell you that the wait, the anticipation, and the actual saving of pennies makes it more worth it...and we almost always end up saving money and getting it at better quality by doing our extensive research.

Simplicity is good my friends...and cost friendly. I like that.

Thanks mom!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Love this post girl! So true! Glad you're loving your new home!

Anonymous said...

Kayaks were a split second decision for us... and I do regret that one for a MINUTE or a month :) However I am glad mom taught me that principle too! She is pretty smart. I have been saving pennies for a sewing machine since last year... last night I dreamed of the purchase... today I am shopping. LOVE YOU! Maggie

Anonymous said...

I meant to say that I DONT Regret the Kayak purchase.

Anonymous said...

thank you sweetie...love you...mom