Saturday, February 18, 2012

the February 14th

Valentine's Day is such a cheesy day of love.
And I am okay with that.

Sure folks can get carried away with the chocolates, cheap bears, red red roses, cards that make me want to puke, et cetera et cetera. However, sometimes us ladies need a little motivation to shave those warm winter legs, get dolled up, and revive our inner flirtatious side. Equally so, sometimes our guys need February 14th to hit them over the head and knock some romantic sense into them.

Unfortunately, this holiday can produce too much hype and pressure and go oh so wrong. Just a tip, choose something creative that shows you tried before resorting to purchasing your sweetheart a gift basket from one of these sketchy road side stands. Yeah, its true, we really did see this and I had to snap a picture.
Luckily for me, my husband does have a sweet side when he isn't being a bad to bone manly man. ; ) We did agree to keep it pretty low key as far as gifts go. Brian had a class up in little Appleton, WI so I accompanied him on his trip.

He made reservations for a small Greek/Mediterranean restaurant thanks to Urbanspoon's recommendations. I didn't exactly have high hopes for it to blow me away being that it was in such a small town. Boy was I wrong! We arrived at Apollon where we were greeted at the humble but cozy restaurant with friendly staff and candlelit table. We enjoyed bread and hummus, amazingly unique lemon soup, and a Greek salad that were all included with our entrees; paired with some smooth red wine. I ordered and devoured (gracefully, of course) mouth watering tender lamb, amazing saffron, tasty potato wedge, and ridiculously delicious carrots and brocolli (never knew veges could be so pimping awesome, did ya?). Both of stuffed but fully satisfied at this incredible restaurant, we decided to order tiramisu to go. We were given this little treasure of dessert complimentary which we enjoyed its amazing moistness and pure deliciousness back at the hotel.

Some of my favorite restaurants have ended up being in the most unsuspected places. If you ever find yourself in Appleton, Wisconsin head on over Apollon Restaurant for an incredible culinary experience. It made for a wonderful Valentine's date with my cutie of a husband. Not bad at all for our first married Valentine's day that we have been able to spend together. So as cheesy as that darn holiday is, I like it.
....shaved legs are nice too.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

hehe you're cute! glad you had a great lovey day!

marywick said...

SWEET...love your blogging