Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Bleed Orange and Maroon

A popular bumper sticker around the foothills of Blacksburg states, "If God isn't a Hokie, then why do the leaves turn orange and maroon?"

Its fall time folks! Take a path down memory lane with me for a moment or two. I vividly remember multiple occasions stepping out of my apartment, feeling the crisp fall air, smelling the delightful musty array of colorful leaves falling from the trees they called home. I've got my maroon t-shirt on, pair of jeans, flipflops, hair in french braids, VT tattooed on both cheeks, and my old faithful Hokie bird hat to top of the fab look. I make my way up to Oak Lane, passing by the RV/motor home parking lot. I dream of a day when I would make my first couple 100Ks with my Virginia Tech degree in hand, where I too can be apart of the elite traveling family flying my VT flag high. Yes, a girl can dream, right? After meeting up with friends and/or family I skip, run, and leap on to tailgating. Ah, the aroma of BBQ, burgers, beans, and much more touch my nose...and perhaps alcohol too. What shall I play today? Toss the football? Hillbilly horseshoes? Corn hole? Perhaps, I will socialize with my fellow Hokies. Hours later, on to the anticipated game we go and as one group yells, LETS GO, another group yells HOKIES! Ohhh, I am getting goosebumps already and its just begun. I wiggle my way into the stadium, get settled into the sea of maroon and orange. Yumm, I smell a giant turkey leg! Now for the rest of this story lets go to a video to really give you the true essence of whats to follow. 2005 Virginia Tech-Miami ESPN Entrance



Is it about the game? No not really, even though it is exciting as all gets out. Its the whole experience, the friendships, the bonds between different groups of society. I heard once that sports events are one of the few places where you can have a poor man and a rich man next to each other, and have the two exchange in such excitement together.

Its fall folks, and in fact I just finished a day wearing my ol' faithful Hokie Bird hat and now I am going to bed wearing my orange effect t-shirt. Obsessive? Perhaps. Exciting? Heck yes!!

3 comments:

Lacey said...

I like fall.

Otto wears VT socks that were the Joersz' babies.

I think it's funny to think of you with checks painted and a bird on your head.

Will you do that again and post a picture please?

Maggie Michael said...

Oh my, i love fall too! I am pretty stinkin excited about Football season! Some of the leaves here are already changing! How great is it that you are going to be able to spend ALL FALL with your husband watching football! WHAT A TREAT!

Lacey said...

This has nothing to do with your post - but I just read about a church in Virginia Beach called CrossCurrent Church - sounds pretty cool.