Thursday, February 17, 2011

its a simple life

Everyday on my way to work I walk through the mall, only because I park my car in its garage. I don't typically like malls, in fact I would say my relationship with malls could be described with loath. However, this mall is nicer, and shinier, and not filled with too many people (especially at 8:30 in the morning). It has some more of the upper scale stores, well compared to lets say Valley View Mall.

I always pass by a few stores who's merchandise catches my eye through the window . First there is The Loft, then Pottery Barn, followed by JCrew. The mannequins are dressed so finely and the furniture displays look so perfect. I look down at my worn and wrinkled dress pants that I still have from my college days and think of the house I just left behind in disarray, and then thats when it gets me, the craving of consumerism. The desire to be dressed out of a magazine and welcomed into a home set so miticiously. Matching accessories, shoes for every occassion, throw pillows for all 4 seasons, place settings, flowery happy prints, sundresses, cartigans, and coffee tables: those are a few of my favorite things.



However, I always come back to a grand realization that my life is oh so wonderfully comfortable. I feel completely at ease in our home, and lets say if I were spill something on the couch I can say, "well I am sure the dog would like to lick it clean." Its a simple lifestyle, without worries of keeping up to some kind of standard. In reality I think that JCrew/Pottery Barn life would feel a bit uptight. When it comes down to it, I'd say I am pretty content with just the way we are....holey shirts and all.

No comments: