Brian asked me what I wanted for my birthday this year. I
shrugged and said, “I dunno, get my mom something nice, she did all the work.” After giving
birth myself, I am starting to think birthdays should celebrate the mothers
that give birth to the child. I did nothing to be born. In fact, I was no easy delivery. Legend has it that I bit the doctor in the hand as I was officially
evicted from my temporary housing via C-section. It was a long hard labor as I was
well past my due date. 9 months of pregnancy? My mom scoffs at that. 10 pounds
6 ounces! I was a beast and I had no intention of coming out. Happy birthday to
me? No ma’am, job well done to my mother.
My mom and I were discussing births and how they are all so
different. We were talking about the viewpoints these days of natural births
and how Ricky Lake will tell you that if you have a C-section you won’t be able to bond
with your baby as well as if you had pushed them out without an epidural. Let me pause for a second and note that I
had a natural birth, loved it, support it, and would totally do it again. With that said, the after pictures are under lock and vault.
I looked as if I was dazed, confused, and heavily drugged but in reality I was totally and utterly exhausted (and losing lots of blood). It was a beautiful moment but I was weak and beat. How’s that for the
natural birth books? Anyways I digress; I asked my mom if she felt less
attachment to me being that I was her only C-section baby. She said it was actually wonderful because she was forced to stay in the
hospital longer, WITHOUT her other children, away from the demands of home. She got to bond
with my chubby self and we got to spend quiet alone time together without my pesky siblings. Besides, she has a
stellar scar as a reminder of July 18th, 1986.
So thanks mom for bringing me into this world 27 years ago.
Sorry I was stubborn on my arrival but I can’t imagine having any other
birthday. I am so glad God chose you to raise me! You did a mighty fine job if
I must say so myself. I won’t hold it against you too much that I inherited some of your bad health genes.
Happy Mary Give Birth To Sarah Day!

1 comment:
Oh my goodness gracious...what a sweet unexpected gift. . Thank you! And I thank God that He allowed me to give birth to you girls who are amazing young ladies. My life has truly been blessed. I love you!!! Your mama!
Post a Comment