Thursday, August 1, 2013

encouragement.



Entering into parenthood can lead the way for a lot of discouragement. Friends, family, and strangers alike can be quick to point out the negatives of being pregnant, having a newborn, dealing with toddlers, surviving teen hood, paying for college, and the list goes on. I can’t tell you how many times I have heard, “she is cute now but just wait until…..”
I know a lot of times these people don’t mean any harm and some are just being honest with the challenges of being a parent, but none the less it can be disheartening as a new parent who is excited and newly in love with a sweet and innocent baby.

Fortunately I have a lot of positive people in my life, who are absolute wonderful parents and such a great example to me. I really am grateful to know some amazing women and mothers. For me personally, the negativity has come more at the hand of acquaintances and strangers, though I know plenty of new mothers that hear such discouragement from close family and friends. While newly married I heard an earful about morning sickness and back aches, while pregnant I got the run around on sleepless nights and colicky newborns, and while loving on my sweet baby strangers have been quick to tell me all about their rowdy toddlers and hormonal teens. There is quite the trend going on here, bashing on the next stage in life, creating a sense of dread and even fear.

I was beginning to accept all these little negative statements until one day I was out with a friend for lunch where I was blessed with such kind and simple words. A happy clad of women were admiring Hannah, being that she is so cute and all. One of the ladies looked at me and with the most sincerity said, “You two are going to be the best of friends.” It really didn’t strike me until I was on my way home, but that one statement from a stranger was pure encouragement and kindness. A glimmer of hope into the future as a mother, this women shined a positive light on this journey. That sweet lady will never know what an impact her words had on me.

So now looking forward into the future, I have hope that one day I will embrace a wild little toddler and see that she is in a new world of exploration and learning. I want to discipline her out of love rather than frustration. I pray that I can have the humility to step back and evaluate my own life and see what kind of example my actions are to my child. I hope that when my daughter gets to be of awkward hormonal age that I will still find the beauty in her, knowing that she is created in the image of God. My precious daughter is full of purpose and has a wonderful reason for life. I hope that I will remember that there is scientific reason behind those future hormonal ups and downs; that she is developing into a women, potentially one day capable of becoming a mother herself.

My once helpless newborn transforming from babe to toddler, from kid to teen, from young adult to woman; it really is a miracle. The caretaker role may shift and maybe one day that once pimply and emotional teen will remember a mother’s unconditional love and joyfully guide me in my new and feeble stage of age. It really is an amazing journey; I truly hope and pray that I will recognize the beauty along the way.

I know I will often fail to love and I know my child is going to act out. I know my patience is going to run low and I know unkind words are going to fly out of my mouth. I will not be a perfect mom, I will not have the perfect kid. Oh how I hope though that I will strive to be better, to improve, to love more, and remember the beauty. I hope to be an encouragement to other moms, shining light on the positives. The troublesome times and challenges will come on their own, but I know I could always use more lifting up, encouragement, prayer, and a push forward during the tough times. So with all these hopes and all these prayers, if I could just ask that this week you seek out a mother (or momma to be) and find a way to be an encouragement to her. It might be just what she needs.  






No comments: